'THE LOOSE ENDS LIST' - Carrie Firestone

Thanks to Hoddler for sending me this to review. The concept of this book sounded really interesting and I couldn't wait to pick it up. A month later I finally got around to it, and I found it absolutely beautiful. Here's what I thought;

"Seventeen-year-old Maddie O'Neill Levine's grandmother is a young-at-heart socialite who has always been Maddie's go-to confidante. Although Maddie and the rest of her family have learned to expect the unexpected from their matriarch, Gram still manages to shock them all when she announces that she has booked the O'Neill clan on a secret death-with-dignity ship called the Wishwell; Gram has terminal cancer and is determined to leave the world in her own way--and give her family an unforgettable summer of dreams-come-true in the process.

Soon, Maddie is on the trip of a lifetime with her wacky family. Aboard the ship, Maddie bonds with other Wishwellians and falls for Enzo, the son of the ship's owner, as they travel the globe. But despite the copious laugher, headiness of first love, and wonder of the glamorous destinations, Maddie knows she is on the brink of losing Gram, and she struggles to find the strength to let go in a whirlwind summer shaped by love, grief, and the power of forgiveness" - Goodreads


CHARACTERS: There was such a wide range of different characters in this book which I loved. The main character, Maddie, went through a lot of ups and downs and I loved reading about how she handled each situation. She is young and free and I love reading about characters this age. She is dealing with the news her grandmother gave her, falling in love for the first time, and all the usual 'going on eighteen' stuff.
Enzo is an absolute babe! He was charming and funny and really brought out the best in Maddie. I would read a book that was just about him.
Gram is hilarious and would have to be my favourite character in the book. She is old on the outside, but still young at heart. I found myself laughing out loud while reading this on the bus because some of the things she said or ways she acted was hilarious.

STORY LINE / PLOT: Like I said at the beginning, I found the story concept really interesting and different, and I don't think I've ever heard about a book with a story line like this before. Although it may be a bit controversial, I found it really interesting. I also loved how there was always something exciting happening which kept me on my toes and made it a really interesting read. I've been on a slight reading slump lately, but I managed to finish this book in just over two days. I had to force myself to shut the book at night so I could get some sleep!
I loved how it focused not only on Maddie's romantic relationship with Enzo, but also her relationship with her Gram, other passengers on the ship, her other family members, and the life she left behind for the summer.

ENDING: Although the ending was emotional along with other parts throughout the book, I also found it beautiful. It finished with an open ending left to the readers interpretation, which I don't usually like, however I found that Firestone did an good job at it. I closed the book feeling satisfied with how the events concluded - and I think that can sometimes be the most important aspect of a good book.

RATING: I decided to give this book 4.5 stars out of 5 and I highly recommend picking this up if it interest you. I can guarantee you that you won't be dissapointed.


CHECK 'THE LOOSE ENDS LIST' OUT ON:
Goodreads; https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29756048-the-loose-ends-list
Dymocks: https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/loose-ends-list-by-carrie-firestone-9781444929362/#.V9Iudfl97IU
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com.au/Loose-Ends-List-Carrie-Firestone-ebook/dp/B014SVDSCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473392268&sr=8-1&keywords=the+loose+ends+list




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.