AUGUST WRAP UP

August was a busy month for me - I was less active on my blog and didn't get as much reading done due to the heavy load of uni assignments I had. I still managed to squeeze in seven books this month which I was proud of. Here's what I read in order;

Girl Under Water by Nat Luurtsema
-I found this book was definitely directed to a younger audience; the writing style and story line was simple and the main character was fifteen (I think). However, I still enjoyed it overall and would recommend it to younger readers.
Thanks to Walker Books for sending me this to review.
-3.5 stars
Review: http://gabbytheblogger.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/girl-out-of-water-nat-luurtsema.html

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by RK Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne
-Despite the mixed reviews I've seen around the booktube community, I loved this book. I've never been a massive HP fan, and only read the books and watched the movies at the end of last year, so I haven't been waiting seven years for this story. I loved the story idea and how it revolved around Goblet of Fire, and I also loved the characters that were involved.
-5 stars

The Fall of Butterflies by Andrea Portes
-I feel like this book had a lot of potential; the story line was interesting and talked about a lot of interesting topics that I would love to read more about. However, I feel like not enough was done to make this book great. It was a good read and I did like that it focused on the individual and her friendship rather than romance, but I didn't grow a connection to the characters which I think is an important aspect of loving a book.
Thanks to Harper Collins for sending me this to review.
-3.5 stars
Reviewhttp://gabbytheblogger.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/the-fall-of-butterflies-andrea-portes.html

Falling by Jane Green
-This is an adult fiction/ chic-lit, which I enjoy most of the time, however this just didn't do it for me. I felt like I was just reading the motions of what the main character was doing, rather than an intriguing story that included development and heights. I didn't have an interest in the story until the ending which definitely woke me up.
Thanks to Pan Macmillan for sending me this to review.
-3 stars
Reviewhttp://gabbytheblogger.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/falling-jane-green.html

City of Lost Souls & City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
-I finally finished the amazing TMI series. CoLS would have to be my favourite in the whole series as I was most interested in the story going on and loved how it revolved mainly around Clary, Jace and Sebastian. I still loved CoHF and the ending was beautiful, however the I didn't love the overall plot of the book.
-5 stars
-Vlog of me finishing the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-yUy6U4Y

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
-This was my classic for the month and I would have to say that it is one of the best classics I've read this year. I read it in one sitting on the bus and absolutely loved it even though it's a children's classic. I've never been a massive fan of the movie, I actually couldn't remember it since I haven't seen it in years, so I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.
-5 stars

Running Like China by Sophie Hardcastle
-This was the best book I read this month and one of the best books I've read this year (maybe even ever!). This is Sophie's memoir as she talks about her struggle with mental illness both as a teenager and still today. I found this book so inspiring and highly recommend those who are struggling with mental health to pick this amazing book up.
-5 stars

So that was my August wrap up. You can also check my YouTube video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHP6ZVMwPY

Let me know what books you read this month down below!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.