'FALLING' - Jane Green

Thanks to Pan Macmillan for sending me a copy for review. I don't often read adult fiction/ chick lit, but when I do I usually enjoy it (i.e. Nicholas Sparks). Even though I was looking forward to see what this book was about, I didn't have high expectations.

'When Emma Montague left the strict confines of upper-crust British life for New York, she felt sure it would make her happy. Away from her parents and expectations, she felt liberated, throwing herself into Manhattan life replete with a high-paying job, a gorgeous apartment, and a string of successful boyfriends. But the cutthroat world of finance and relentless pursuit of more began to take its toll. This wasn’t the life she wanted either. 
 On the move again, Emma settles in the picturesque waterfront town of Westport, Connecticut, a world apart from both England and Manhattan. It is here that she begins to confront what it is she really wants from her life. With no job, and knowing only one person in town, she channels her passion for creating beautiful spaces into remaking the dilapidated cottage she rents from Dominic, a local handyman who lives next door with his six-year-old son. 
 Unlike any man Emma has ever known, Dominic is confident, grounded, and committed to being present for his son whose mother fled shortly after he was born. They become friends, and slowly much more, as Emma finds herself feeling at home in a way she never has before.
 But just as they start to imagine a life together as a family, fate intervenes in the most shocking of ways. For the first time, Emma has to stay and fight for what she loves, for the truth she has discovered about herself, or risk losing it all. ' - Goodreads

CHARACTERS: The main character, Emma, I actually enjoyed reading about and learning her story from her perspective. She goes through a lot of transitions in her life before the book begins and throughout and I loved reading about her. She is a likeable person and character which made the book easier to read. Emma's love interest and landlord, Dominic, is also a great guy. He is a hard worker and a single father, and seeing his relationship with his son is quite touching. I liked the relationship between these two characters and seeing it transition and develop throughout the book.

PLOT / STORY LINE: The overall plot was a bit of a down fall for me. I felt like nothing much really happened throughout the book. Things happened in the beginning, and there was a major rise in the plot at the end of the book, but the middle I found a little bit boring. I felt like we as the readers were simply going through the motions of Emma and Dominic's relationship but nothing exciting was happening. At the beginning I was really intrigued with the story line and expected dramatic and exciting things to happen, but I was disappointed to find that nothing changed until the last 50 pages.

ENDING: I liked the emotion that the ending brought. It was sad and a complete comparison to the mood that I felt throughout the rest of the book. I also liked how the epilogue wrapped up everything nicely so that the readers weren't left hanging. However, I felt like the big thing that happened in the end (no spoilers) happened so suddenly that I wasn't able to process it. I felt like it could have happened earlier and the aftermath of the event could have been lengthened slightly.

RATING: Overall I decided to give this book 3 stars out of 5. I liked the characters and enjoyed reading from their perspective, however the overall story line was a bit of a let down. If you are a fan of adult fiction romance and chick lit, maybe pick it up for yourself and see what you think.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.