'The Fall of Butterflies' - Andrea Portes

Thanks to Harper Collins for sending me a copy of the book for review. Considering it is a YA contemporary, it's a bit on the lengthy side so it took me over a week to read, however I still enjoyed it as a whole. Here are my thoughts.

'Willa Parker, 646th and least popular resident of What Cheer, Iowa, is headed east to start a new life.
Did she choose this new life? No, because that would be too easy—and nothing in Willa’s life is easy. It’s her famous genius mother’s idea to send her to ultra-expensive, ultra-exclusive Pembroke Prep, and it’s only the strength of her name that got Willa accepted in the first place.
But Willa has no intentions of fitting in at Pembroke. She’s not staying long, she decides. Not at this school—and not on this planet. But when she meets peculiar, glittering Remy Taft, the richest, most mysterious girl on campus, she starts to see a foothold in this foreign world—a place where she could maybe, possibly, sort of fit.
When Willa looks at Remy, she sees a girl who has everything. But for Remy, having everything comes at a price. And as she spirals out of control, Willa can feel her spinning right out of her grasp.
In Willa’s secret heart, all she’s ever wanted is to belong. But if Remy, the girl who gave her this world, is slip-sliding away, is Willa meant to follow her down?' - Goodreads

CHARACTERS: Willa's character and reading the book from her perspective would probably have to be my favourite aspect of the book. I think that she is one of the most relateable characters I've read about in a YA contemporary, not just to myself but I think a lot of teenage girls. She goes through a lot of ups-and-downs throughout the book and I loved being able to witness her development by the end of the story.
Remy is almost the opposite to Willa, and I loved being able to see the comparisons between the two. They balance eachother out and I think that is a great quality in a friendship. I loved the connection between Remy and Willa, and a majority of the book revolved around their friendship and how they were both able to influence each other in different ways. 

PLOT / STORY LINE: I found the story line okay. It was simple, included a different range of emotions, and focused on friendship as it's main point. I also liked that it was realistic which can sometimes be difficult to find in YA books. However, I didn't find the plot exciting and at times I was a little bit bored. I think that maybe it was longer than it needed to be. Although I think that the characters made up for it.

ENDING: Although I think the ending was quite abrupt, I liked the realness of it. It wasn't your typical YA contemporary ending, and instead it was realistic which I liked.

RATING: Overall I decided to rate this book 3 stars out of 5. I recommend this book to readers who love realistic contemporaries.


Check this book out on;
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26116452-the-fall-of-butterflies
Dymocks: https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/the-fall-of-butterflies-by-andrea-portes-9780062313676/
Amazon; https://www.amazon.com.au/The-Fall-of-Butterflies/dp/B01BACAHRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470891217&sr=8-1&keywords=the+fall+of+butterflies


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.