'EMPIRE OF STORMS' - Sarah J. Maas

Thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me a copy to review! If you're subscribed to my YouTube channel (youtube.com/readbooksread), then you probably know my feelings towards the Throne of Glass series. I marathoned the first four books and the novella in January this year; I loved ToG, liked CoM, but HoF and QoS were a bit of a let down for me. I had tor read a summary of QoS before starting EoS because I was completely confused with how it ended. After briefly refreshing my mind I picked the new release up and managed to finish it in five days!

"The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?" - Goodreads


CHARACTERS: 
Despite my minor disliking towards Celaena/Aelin in the past, she began to grow on me throughout EoS which was good. I think one of the reasons I found it so hard to read HoF and QoS was because she started to annoy me a bit. But this definitely changed throughout the book which made it a lot more enjoyable to read.
Dorian has been my favourite character throughout the whole series. ToG is my favourite from the series because he was with Celaena and they are my OTP in the series. Even though they didn't get together like I hoped they would in the book, I loved how we still got a lot from his character in this book. I enjoyed his story line with Manon and seeing where that went, and also his connection with Aelin and Rowan.
I could not stand Rowan in the last book because he was getting in the way of my OTP. However, as I began to accept the fact that Dorian and Aelin are not getting together anytime soon, I grew to like Rowan and his relationship with Aelin.

STORY LINE:
I'm going to say this now; I'm still not 100% sure what actually went down in the book or the last two books either. I found myself confused a lot, and maybe that's because I found the last two books boring that I didn't pay complete attention to them. So yeah...
However, I did manage to pick up on a majority of the main story lines and mostly understood them. I found EoS a lot more interesting and intense than I found the previous two books. There was so much happening and so many characters dealing with different things that I was always excited to pick up the book each day.
I've read through a lot of reviews of people saying they cried, but the book didn't have that emotional impact on me. I enjoyed it and preferred it a lot more than HoF especially. However, for me personally it doesn't beat Throne of Glass.

ENDING:
I found the ending really intense, and I actually enjoyed it. I'm not a massive fan of cliff hangers and I hate how I have to wait another year to find out what's going to happen. But I did like that the pace of the book picked up and I couldn't wait to see how it ends. I also can't wait to read the next book!

RATING:
Overall, I decided to give this book 4 stars out of 5. Like I said, I loved reading about the three characters I mentioned and I enjoyed the ending. However, I still haven't been able to wrap my head around the plot. If I ever have some spare time (which will probably be never) I would love to reread the series to see if I could understand them better a second time around.


Comment below what your thoughts are on Empire of Storms :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.