'THE MOONLIGHT DREAMERS' - Siobhan Curham

The Moonlight Dreamers The Moonlight Dreamers by Siobhan Curham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sometimes a quick and fast paced book is all you need to satisfy your reading cravings.

I received this book from Walker Books earlier on in the year, and I decided to read it this month before its release in July. I ended up finishing it in a day which shows just how great this books is!

CHARACTERS: The four main characters, Amber, Rose, Sky and Maali, are all completely different and helped add to the story. Sky misses her mum who passed five years ago and is trying to find the confidence to perform her poems, Amber struggles to get a long with one of her dads and deals with the bullies at her school, Rose is sick of her mum forcing her to be someone she's not and her boyfriend is pressuring her into doing something she doesn't want to do, and Maali is trying to work up the courage to talk to boys. I loved how much each girl differed from the other, but how all four of them got a long so well. It really shows how opposites to attract, and diversity is important in friendship circles.

PLOT / STORY LINE: The story line focused mainly on friendship, family relationships and identity. It's not often that you can read a contemporary book, or any book for that matter, that isn't focused on romance. I thought there would be an aspect of romance throughout the book, however there wasn't and I didn't think it was needed. The only minor issue that I have with the plot is that there was no real rise in the complication. I would have liked to see something a bit crazier or dramatic happen just to keep me as the reader slightly more excited. However, I think Curham did a great job at telling the story of each character without making it complicated. It was easy to keep track throughout the whole story, and I wasn't once bored with the story line.

ENDING: Such a sweet and heart warming ending to a beautiful book. Everything concluded nicely and the characters all got the closure that I needed. I finished the book in less than a day with a smile on my dile, and I love books that have that affect on me. All the events that occurred throughout the book wrapped up in a way that was realistic and practical. This wasn't just a typical YA contemporary, but it was real. I think all young readers struggling with something in life need to read this.

I decided to give this book 4.5 stars out of 5 (when working from half ratings). The reason I went with 5 rather than 4 on Goodreads is because I couldn't really fault anything that was worthy of losing a whole star. The only minor issue I had was that there was no major rise. Overall this was a great read and I highly recommend to teenagers and readers of YA.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.